Sunday, October 30, 2011

REFLECTION ZONE: Danger of a Single Story


I am willing to share an example of the danger of a single story in my personal life.  My husband and I have been attending Expectant Parent classes.  One evening a woman came to our class to provide information and answer questions on receiving an epidural.  She introduced herself and immediately a red flag went up in my head.  She had the same last name as two of my former students, and there was no way I was going to receive medication from them or someone closely related to them.  I prejudged her instantly, and I am embarrassed I did so.  By the end of our time together I learned that she is very good at what she does, very knowledgeable, and she answered every single question I had.  I felt very bad about myself and that I was so quick to judge someone based on a single story - their last name.  I hope this helps remind me to keep an open mind and get all sides to a story before I make a decision. 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment