Sunday, October 23, 2011

REFLECTION ZONE: Common Core Standards - Osceola

I too along with Tony and Rick attended the Common Core Workshop at transition in Turtle Lake last year for middle and high school math teachers.  I received a binder that outlines what each grade level math teacher will "own" as their responsibility for their students to master. There are topics I currently teach that are not included in 6th grade of common core, so I will need to remove them.  I also believe there is some checking for understanding that will need to be completed or topics taught or retaught in order to begin teaching the concepts we are responsible for kids to master in 6th grade.
I am concerned about how this will be implemented.  It sounds like all grades will just say 1,2,3 jump, and everyone will start fresh with the Common Core standards.  It is my thinking that some topics will be lost for some kids with that kind of transition.  It would take much longer to start at Kindergarten the first year, and then K and 1st the second year, and so on,  but I'm just worried about all starting the same time. Maybe I just need to have more faith in the people who created the standards.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment