Sunday, January 23, 2011

REFLECTION ZONE: The Power of Our Words



The last few weeks I have noticed more than ever how powerful the words we choose to speak really are, and the impact words can have on the listener. While my dad was in the hospital the first week in January, I really noticed the word choice of his nurses and doctors.  I wonder if they realize the power their words can have on families.  It made me reflect on myself as a teacher, and how powerful my words can be for the students I teach.  I have found myself choosing my words more wisely as I interact with kids. I want to learn how my words can better motivate my students and my athletes to do their best.

On Friday night I watched an episode of Blue Bloods.  The story line was about an old case that was resurfacing.  The police chief and his past partner had determined who was guilty of the crime that was committed 20 years ago, however they needed the suspect to confess to his crime.  The first detective tried by interrogating the man, but got nowhere.  When the chief of police went in to meet with the suspect, he had a way with his words.  His words were filled with so much emotion and power, that the man truly had no choice, but to confess.  This episode was a prime example of the power one's words can have on other people.  I want to be skilled in my words, and learn how teachers can use their words for good and to help motivate students to succeed.  This is the topic I am excited to research for my lit review.


2 comments:

  1. I love all of the pictures you're adding Abby! I hope your father is doing okay, and I can't wait to hear what you discover in your "power of words" action research!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby,
    I too love your graphics! Way to make this blog your own! I also believe positive words have a wonderful affect. Words of Affirmation! Everyone needs it! Janet

    ReplyDelete