The month of February was spent reading a lot about the power of words, especially relating to students. I learned a lot and questioned even more. I began my literature review. I was not sure how to even start this, but with help from people who had done this and websites shared, I began to wrap my head around the idea of what a literature review was comprised of. If I had to explain a literature review to others I would include the following information.
The purpose is to provide background to justify for the research you are interested in conducting in your classroom. You need to look at existing research that is significant to the work you will be carrying out.
You read a lot to find what is already known on your topic. You want to learn what knowledge has already been established by published by accredited scholars and researchers. You discover existing theories and what is agreed upon and what is not. You find inconsistencies and shortcomings. You might find evidence to be lacking, inconclusive, or contradictory. Hopefully you see reason to study the topic further. As you read and highlight information, you will be able to organize your research into themes. While a literature review is not a summary of each individual source it does summarize research. Your job is to show the relationships between different ideas or studies and relate it to your idea or work. It is important to follow APA format and give credit to your sources throughout your literature review.
I have spent a great deal of time reading and writing and rewriting my literature review, but I have enjoyed it because it is on a topic I am interested in learning more about.
No comments:
Post a Comment