The Energy Bus was a great motivational read, and there were some wonderful points to put into practice. First, there are some days I really feel stressed out. Between teaching two grade levels, conducting math interventions, attending required meetings during prep time, coaching girls basketball, and working on my masters, there are some days where I feel I don't have much more to give. I loved the saying, "Too blessed to be stressed." I think I need to focus on the positive more than complain about the negative. I really am blessed and lucky to have the family, husband, and friends I do. I am lucky to have a job I enjoy and a great group of teachers to work with. The one great golf shot theory goes along with this point. After a round of golf, you don't think about all the bad shots you made, but rather you always remember and focus on the one great shot you had that day. I would like my students to try this and have them tell their success of the week.
As a basketball coach I connected with the statement that, "The goal is not to be better than anyone else, but rather be better than you were yesterday." The goal should be to improve each day, not compare yourself to others. As I am working with a bunch of ladies this season who might not have the basketball skills of past teams, I think this statement is one I would like to share with them and post in their locker room.
Another part of the book that I felt was a great reminder was mentioned under the chapter titled "Love Your Passengers." My passengers want to be loved. It was written that you can give all the trophies and awards you want, and sure even a raise would be a good idea, but eventually the gift is forgotten and the excitement of the raise wears off and what remains is an emotional feeling, a feeling of whether you love them. That's what it's all about. As a teacher I thought this was a powerful idea. Students want to be loved or cared about too. Yes, I can set up rewards for good behavior to extrinsically motivate them to do what is expected, or I can provide them with opportunities to be intrinsically motivated and feel good about themselves and the work they did and what they accomplished. They would have a great feeling, and I would rather help them do that.
The Energy Bus Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy
1. You're the Driver of Your Bus
2. Desire, Vision, and Focus Move Your Bus in the Right Direction
3. Fuel Your Ride with Positive Energy
4. Invite People on Your Bus and Share Your Vision for the Road Ahead
5. Don't Waste Your Energy on Those Who Don't Get on Your Bus
6. Post a Sign that Says "NO ENERGY VAMPIRES ALLOWED" on your bus
7. Enthusiasm Attracts More Passengers & Energizes Them During the Ride
8. Love Your Passengers
(make time for them, listen to them, recognize them, serve them, and bring out the best in them)
9. Drive with Purpose
10. Have Fun and Enjoy the Ride

I can totally relate to you and the points you recall from the Energy Bus. I'm glad you typed up the 10 rules for us to remember.
ReplyDelete