I then grouped the results to find a visual representation of the distribution. I noticed a few things. There was a greater positive growth in 2010. There were more solid bars than striped in every positive category except for one, which was equal, so this shows more improvement. I noticed that the 2009 was a normal distribution for the positive side. The 2010 data resembled normal distribution with exception to the chart being top heavy. That could possibly signify there was positive growth because of the cooperative group work. It is very difficult to prove my hypothesis as true or false because of the small sample size. Overall, my data proved to be inclusive. It did not prove if using cooperative groups significantly improved understanding and therefore increased test scores. My mini action research did not prove to be true, but it didn’t prove not true either.
My research sparked some questions. Why is the 2010 set of data top heavy, showing more positive growth than negative growth? Is this because this chapter is overall easier? Is this evidence the cooperative group work improved understanding and test scores? Are students making more positive growth due to the effective teaching behavior? Is this because the sample size is too small to be accurate? I think grouping the data in intervals and looking at the visual distribution was more helpful than just comparing the averages of growth between the two classes. I would like to try this study again.
When I asked for student feedback as to if we should continue working in cooperative groups and what each student liked and disliked I got the following responses.
21 wanted to continue group work
5 did not want to continue group work
1 unclear response
What did you like?
We got the chance to listen to how other people figured out the problem. We got the chance to make our methods better.
Even if you got it wrong on your own, you got a chance to learn how to get it right.
It made assignments seem easier.
My group explained it better.
You could earn extra credit.
We could ask group members for help if we needed it.
It's a chance to talk about what you didn't understand in the assignment.
It is more fun than working by yourself.
It's fun to talk to people. We got to know each other a little more.
What didn't you like?
It took too much of our work time.
We can let people down if we don't do our work.
I knew what I was doing without listening to others.
It was a waste of time because I do good without the extra credit and without group help.
My group member complained that he had to be with me.
We get less work time.
I helped my group members more than they helped me.
When I asked for student feedback as to if we should continue working in cooperative groups and what each student liked and disliked I got the following responses.
21 wanted to continue group work
5 did not want to continue group work
1 unclear response
What did you like?
We got the chance to listen to how other people figured out the problem. We got the chance to make our methods better.
Even if you got it wrong on your own, you got a chance to learn how to get it right.
It made assignments seem easier.
My group explained it better.
You could earn extra credit.
We could ask group members for help if we needed it.
It's a chance to talk about what you didn't understand in the assignment.
It is more fun than working by yourself.
It's fun to talk to people. We got to know each other a little more.
What didn't you like?
It took too much of our work time.
We can let people down if we don't do our work.
I knew what I was doing without listening to others.
It was a waste of time because I do good without the extra credit and without group help.
My group member complained that he had to be with me.
We get less work time.
I helped my group members more than they helped me.
No comments:
Post a Comment