Saturday, March 24, 2012

REFLECTION ZONE: Big Changes for Voting Laws


I read the article "Big Changes for Voting Laws" in the March 2012 edition of WEACinPrint.
Wisconsin's new voter id laws will be in effect for the recall election JUNE 5. 
  • You will need photo identification to vote.  This can be a Wisconsin DOT-issued driver's license, identification card, military ID card issued by a U.S. uniformed service, or a U.S. passport. 
  • You need to be registered to vote.  You may still register on election day, but you cannot register the Saturday, Sunday, or Monday before an election. You need proof or residence to register such as a driver's license, utility bill, bank statement, or paycheck.
  • In person early voting has been reduced from one month before the election to two weeks prior.  It begins 15 days before the election and ends the Friday before the election.
  • Absentee ballot requests need a photocopy of an acceptable form of voter ID.  Absentee ballots may not be picked up the Friday-Monday before an election.   I learned this last summer as I wanted to pick up an absentee ballot for my husband. (Shelia Harsdorf vs. Shelly Moore election) At the time, he left for work at 5am, and he was on a Tuesday night golf league in the cities and wouldn't get home before the polls closed at 8pm.  I called the Monday before and was notified that our governor had changed this, and I had missed the window of opportunity to obtain an absentee ballot. 
I don't think these are huge changes, but I don't want anyone to be surprised about a change and not be able to vote, since it is a very important election.


No comments:

Post a Comment