Saturday, September 10, 2011

REFLECTION ZONE: Formative Assessment

Formative Assessment Examples

Class Paddles - Individual Dry Erase Boards   When reviewing concepts we learned, I will give each group of two students a small dry erase board, a marker, and two kleenex - one wet and one dry.  I then ask a math question.  The group has time to think, discuss it, solve it, and put their final answer on their board.  They wait until I say, “Paddles Up” and then they hold up their paddle to display their answer.  I reveal the correct answer and choose a group who answered it correctly to explain to the class how they solved they it.  I can walk around the room and listen to the groups discuss their answers, and I can also check for understanding when I see their answers on their boards.  Students clean their board and are ready for the next question.  They seem to like rotating the duty of writing and cleaning the board.
                                                                    

Inside/Outside Circle  Sometimes before I will correct an assignment I will divide students into two groups.  One group is the “inside” circle and one group is the “outside.”  Both groups make circles with their chairs or desks..  The outsides make up the outer circle, and they will stay put for this activity.  The insides form the inner circle, and they face the outside circle people. They will be the ones to move on my direction.  Each inside person is paired with an outside person.  If there is an odd number a group of three is fine. Everyone needs to have their homework with them as I will then give them a problem from their homework to discuss with their partner.  They each need to explain their thinking and show their partner their work.  If a person wants to change or make corrections, they are allowed to do so.  While students are sharing I walk around and listen to their conversations.  I choose a group who understands the problem to show their thinking on the promethean board for others  to see.  Next I will have the inner circle students rotate two spots to their right to find a new partner to discuss a new problem.  We usually rotate 3-5 times so students have the opportunity to work with new people.
                                                                     
                                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment