Sunday, April 22, 2012

REFLECTION ZONE: Accessing YouTube at School

This school year I wanted to show my action research group a few short video clips from the Brainology website.  However, the clips were originally from YouTube, and this site is blocked on my school computer.  I really wanted to still show them, so I inquired about it by sending a helpdesk to our technology department.  I learned that there was a way to do it.  I needed an offsite connection to "capture" the video, so I used my computer from home. Next, I needed a way to grab the video.  I watched another YouTube video on how to do that using KeepVid. The link for the how-to is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFoYQJbC-O4
I needed to copy the url of the site I wanted to show and then go to the website keepvid.com.  I then pasted the url, hit download, and saved it with a .flv in the name.  This works for any site that I would want to save and bring in to class.   I thought this was helpful, and I was so glad I was able to share these video clips with my students. I learned something new and shared this information with other teachers on my team.

1 comment:

  1. Ohmygosh. I am impressed with your tenacity, Abby! Way to be a teacher leader and a technology wiz!

    ReplyDelete