
Differentiation
Learning that fits "Just Right!"
Since all students are at varying levels, learn differently, and at different rates, differentiated instruction provides ways for all students to learn regardless of their differing abilities. I agree with the other posts, that differentiated instruction aims to meet the needs of all learners. I think of Goldilocks, when I think of differentiated instruction. Some concepts might be too big, or too small, but differentiated instruction makes learning "just right."At our school we have three levels of math classes - accelerated, math, and team taught. Within each of these classes I try to provide accommodations for students who need them. The best explanation of an accommodation is the following. Your goal is to have a student change a light bulb. Some students are shorter than others and may need a ladder to accomplish the task. accommodations are the ladders. Some examples would be allowing students to use a multiplication table, a prime numbers chart, the factor mobiles, or their notes in order to accomplish the same task as everyone else. Different classes work on the same concepts, but work on different problems, or different depth of knowledge problems.
The interventions we use are differentiated. Rocket math allows students to progress at their own speed. Compass software assigns students their own learning path. This is determined based on their weaker areas identified by the MAPS test. The program is tailored to meet the needs of each learner. On the other spectrum, strong math students have the opportunities to participate in math meets that we host twice a year or the Math Masters competition.
I know I could differentiate more. I found it very interesting and helpful to read everyone's posts to see how each person does this in his/her own class.

No comments:
Post a Comment