Friday, December 9, 2011

REFLECTION ZONE: Ubuntu

Ubuntu – I am what I am because of who we all are.

Ubuntu is the African concept that all humans are connected, valued, and are equal. One can achieve great things only when people are united with a common purpose and genuinely work together for the good of the group.  There are two levels of recognition of Ubuntu, and I feel the first is the most important piece of the entire philosophy.   The first level is to value others simply for who they are.  This is the heart of Ubuntu, and it must always come first.  This recognition is given unconditionally to every human being.  Each person is respected without preconditions.  Respect is not tied to performance or achievement.  This can be applied to the workplace or within a classroom.  Everyone needs to feel accepted, respected, and valued because they are human.  A teacher needs to display Ubuntu with her students all the time, even when they don’t try their best or do their work or make good choices.  Doing this breeds the trust that needs to be strongly in place for anything positive to follow. 

I also connected strongly to one of the statements listed under the Vision for the Bullseye Company.  The statement was, “The Ubuntu philosophy and the values it represents can guide us to become:  A community from which employees go home at the end of the day with the renewed energy and vitality that comes from hard work well done, pride, appreciation, and a sense of accomplishment. That statement sounds so refreshing, rewarding, and it is what I hope to feel on a consistent basis. I do feel this at times throughout the school year, and it is wonderful.  However, some nights I leave school without these feelings, but instead feeling run down, overworked, tired, or unappreciated as I am asked to keep doing more, more, more.  I am hopeful for the day where I feel more of the Ubuntu spirit inside me.  I am aware it starts with me, and I need to work at growing this spirit within me and it will contagiously spread. 

Overall, I am glad that there are different personalities that make all humans unique and beautiful.  I believe any personality type is capable of leading a life rooted in the Ubuntu philosophy.  While Ubuntu might come most naturally for the givers, such as Simon, any type of person is capable of incorporating these beliefs and attitudes, which can lead to a rich and meaningful life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment