Monday, October 18, 2010

REFLECTION ZONE: The Power of Questions

After reading chapters 1-3 in The Power of Questions and keeping a journal of the happenings in my classroom I found things that excited, bothered, and interested me.  I chose one from each category to post on my blogspot.
Excited Me - I truly enjoy grading math tests and quizzes because I like to see students' thinking and I get excited to see their results and what each student learned.
Bothered Me- I was a bit bothered by the 8th grade quiz scores.  Looking closer, 20 out of my 35 students got the first question marked wrong.  "Write each fraction as a decimal." (-1/8)  9 students did the work correctly, but just forgot the negative sign in their answer.  11 students did the problem wrong. Some did not know how to set the problem up to solve.  Some had an idea how to set it up, but flipped which number was being divided. Some set it up perfectly, but struggled with the division. 
Interests Me - How do I get my students to construct their learning in math so they truly learn the math material?
I will show them this skill could be useful in their lives when they figure out their percentage and what letter grade they earned on any assignment in any class.  If you got 12 correct out of 15, how can you write 12/15 as a decimal and therefore determine what letter grade you earned?

Other Questions
How can I improve my teaching?
How can I improve my students' learning?
How can I create more constructivist lessons in math?
How can I motivate students to care more about their grades and futures?
How can I lessen the gap of understanding between my team taught class and my other math classes?

No comments:

Post a Comment